Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Question about 803-B surrounds color

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Mike16W's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2008
    Posts
    26
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a two 612 cabinets, each with a 803-B LF driver in it. One has a black surround and the other surround is red. Both look original. Does the color of the surround indicate anything?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Mike16W's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2008
    Posts
    26
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Also, I red somewhere that there was a change at some time in the past where the surrounds on the 803s changed color or the color of the tar goo was changed. Anyone heard of this?
    Thanks again.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Check the numbers on the rear of the cones.

    Some Altec surrounds were red. The only examples I've personally seen were MI driver recone kits, but I've sure not seen them all. There have been several dopes available over the years, the most recent being clear/translucent, so a red surround would still be red after doping.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Mike16W's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2008
    Posts
    26
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have just noticed that the driver with the red surround is much less stiff than the one with the red surround. This would explain why the red one is louder than the one with the black surround. Is there an solution to getting both at the same level? Could I change out surrounds on one or both drivers?
    Thanks

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, it's 'possible', if you could buy the right surrounds by themselves, (which you can't). By the time you remove the dustcap, shim the VC, dope the new surround etc, there's really no savings anyway.

    That may not be the root of the problem though. A cone's resistance to movement, or compliance, is mostly determined by the spider, the surround having minimal effect ITR. Sounds like you may have completely different kits in them. Again, check the cone numbers to know.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Mike16W's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2008
    Posts
    26
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the information. I checked the back of the cones and both have the same number, 21090. I red one can fairly easily bottom out when I push on the cone. I can't bottom out the black one. I may look into re-coning them or sending one or both to Great Plains unless someone has another idea.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You're welcome.

    Hmmm... that's a tough one. That appears to be an Altec cone number, but I couldn't find it in any of the references.

    As for reconing them, you can't beat GPA, as you'll get the right parts and free magnet recharging too. If you intend to keep them for the long run, doing both would be the best.

    I'd suggest calling GPA and see what they think. They won't sell you anything you don't need.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Mike16W's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2008
    Posts
    26
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Bfish.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member valhallax's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2006
    Posts
    542
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    on the color of the surrounds.. ive seen identical surrounds on 515b's offered by a reputable seller. i was in the market for b's at the time but leary on the the clor. when i asked the seller, all he knew was that they were from chicago, a theatre there, but in fact they were the correct cone codes on them. i passed as i just wasnt sure

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.